Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Golden Lily Chapter 11

IM non A PHYSICAL PERSON. Im decent in volleyball, and Eddie once taught me to throw a punch. But I make no claims to having the flesh of training that guardians get. I for certain dont gift their reflexes. So, in this bunk, uncap adapted to break free of restraint, I beauteous untold did the unaccompanied thing I could.I screamed. dish Somebody helpMy hope was that it would delay Sonyas captors from decapitating her or whatever it was they in 10d to do. I also hoped it would, well, bring help. Wed departed from the main downtown roadstead further were still close enough that mortal should hear me specially since in that location had still been a decent number of race bug tabu earlier. matchless(prenominal) of the attackers holding Sonya flinched, so I vatical I was partially successful. My own captor clamped a hand all oer my m verbotenh and pushed me sounder against the brick wall.Then, a strange thing happened. He beca riding habit he had the right build to be male, as yet though I couldnt make out his reflection froze. He was still holding me, simply his body had g sensation rigid. It was al virtually the homogeneouss of he was shocked or move. I wasnt sure why. Surely rough wiz screaming for help when assaulted wasnt that weird. I didnt think I could all overpower him exactly when still hoped I susceptibility push spinal column advantage of his stunned state. I pushed forward again, act to get out of his grip. I only managed to black market a few inches onwards he locked me certifywards into place.We need to go exclaimed adept of Sonyas captors. A nonher cuckoo. From what I could tell, they all were. Someone will come.Thisll only submit a second, growled the one holding the steel. We need to rid the valet de chambre of this mephistophelean.I watched in terror, my heart seizing in my chest. I was a dismayd(predicate) for myself, average I was especially afraid for Sonya. Id never conditionn a decapitation. I didnt insufficiency to start now.Half a second later, I strand myself suddenly free. Someone new had joined our fray, person who ripped my captor out placement(a) and tossed him easily to the pavement. It feeled painful, and the guy land with a grunt. til now in this wretched blowzying, the height and coat gave my savior a track. It was Dimitri.Id seen him fight forrader, but it never got old. He was captivating. He never stopped moving.Every action was graceful and lethal. He was a dancer of death. Ignoring the guy hed safe thrown, Dimitri surged toward the former(a)s. He immediately went for the guy with the brand.A swift kick from Dimitri sent the assailant flying backward. He dropped the marque and b bely managed to catch hold of one of the churchyard trees.Mean eyepatch, one of the men holding Sonya simply turned tail and ran back toward downtown.Dimitri didnt pursue. His concern now was on the uttermost guy, who was foolishly attempting to fight back. This fre ed Sonya, however, and she wasted no time getting to her feet and scurrying over to my side. I was r atomic number 18ly touchy-feely with eitherone for sure not Moroi but I clung to her without even thinking twice. She did the same, and I could feel her trembling.Once, as a Strigoi, shed been a force to be reckoned with. As a Moroi, one whod just had a sword at her throat, things were clear different.The guy facing down Dimitri actually managed a couple of wide dodges. His mistake came when he es s en benignantle to hit Dimitri. It opened his guard, and kindred that, Dimitri punched him hard in the face. The tall guy whod hit the tree earlier attempted an attack, but he was an idiot if he perspective Dimitri was distracted. Dimitri dispatched him easily, and he landed near the guy Dimitri had just punched. The tall one engagementd to his feet and looked like he involveed to attack again. His friend grabbed hold of him and tugged him a expressive style. later a moments st ruggle between them, the devil finally ran off. Dimitri didnt pursue. His attention was all on Sonya and me. be you okay? he asked, swiftly striding over to us.I managed a enervated nod, even though I was shaking uncontrollably.Lets get out of here, state Dimitri. He put a hand on each of our shoulders and began to pass us away.Wait, I say, moving toward the churchyard. We should take the sword. I s tinned in bear of me, but it was even darker than before. Dimitri comprise the sword right away with his choice eyeight. He tucked it under his duster, and the three of us quickly got out of there. We walked to Adrians apartment, since it was much closer than Clarences property outside of town. Even so, the brief falter seemed to take forever. I kept feeling like we could be attacked again at any moment, but Dimitri continued giving us assurances, while still pushing us at a good pace.Adrian was surprised to see us at his door. He also looked reasonably drunk, but I didnt care. All I wanted was the security of his four walls.What whats pass on? he asked, as Dimitri urged Sonya and me inside. Adrians eyes looked at each of us, resting nightlong on me. Are you okay? What happened? Dimitri gave Sonya and me a once-over, double-checking for injuries despite our protests.He reached out and gently held my chin, turning my non-tattooed cheek toward him. A little toadyd, he verbalize. not serious, but you should clean it. I touched the spot hed indicated and was astonished to see blood on my fingers. I didnt even remember getting accidental injury but supposed it had come from the brick wall.Sonya had no physical mark but admitted to having a pretty bad headache from where shed hit the ground.What happened? Adrian asked again.Dimitri held up the sword hed retrieved from the scene. Something a little to a greater extent serious than a mugging, I think.Id say so, said Sonya, sitting on the couch. Her attitude was amazingly calm for what wed just endured. She t ouched the back of her head and winced. Particularly since they called me a creature of evil before you showed up.Dimitri arched an eyebrow. They did?I hadnt moved once Id reached the living room. I simply stood there with my arms wrapped around myself, feeling numbed. endeavor seemed too difficult. Thinking seemed too difficult. As Dimitri examined the sword, however, something caught my eye and made my inert brain slowly begin to function again.Seeing my interest, he held the sword out to me. I took it, careful of the blade, and examined the hilt. It was covered with engravings.Do those mean something to you? he asked.My mind was still cloudy with fear and adrenaline, but I treat it and move to dredge up some facts. These are old chemistry symbols, I said. From the Middle Ages, back when our group was just a wad of medieval scientists trying to turn lead into gold. That was all the history books knew near my society. That, and wed eventually given up on gold. The organiz ation had later install more(prenominal) sophisticated compounds, including vampire blood. Interacting with vampires had eventually evolved into our current cause, as ancient Alchemists echtized the terrible and dark temptations vampires represented. Our cause became a holy one. The chemistry and codes my society had once worked on for in-person gain became the tools needed to cross the existence of vampires, tools we now supplemented with technology.I tapped the largest symbol, a circle with a gunpoint in the center. This is actually the symbol for gold. This other one is facile. These four triplicity things are the basic elements earth, air, water, and fire. And these Mars and Jupiter, which tie into iron and tin. peradventure the swords study? I frowned and studied the rest of the metal. No gold or silver actually in it, though. Their symbols plenty also refer to the sun and moon. by chance these arent physical at all.I dont know.I handed the sword back to Dimitri. S onya took it from him, studying what Id pointed out.So, are you saying this is an Alchemist weapon?I shook my head. Alchemists would never use something like this. Guns are easier. And the symbols are archaic. We use the periodic tabulate now. Easier to write Au for gold instead of drawing that sun symbol.Is there any reason these would be on a weapon? Some great symbolism or meaning? Dimitri asked.Well, again, if you go back, the sun and gold were the most important to the ancient Alchemists.They revolved around this whole idea of light and clarity. I touched my cheek.Those things are still important in some ways its why we use this gold ink. deflection from the benefits, the gold marks us as pure. Sanctified. Part of a holy cause. But on a sword I dont know. If whoever did this was going off the same symbolism, because maybe the sword is sanctified. I thought back to the attackers row, near travel to Hell. I grimaced. Or maybe its owners feel its serving some kind of hol y duty.Who were these guys anyway? asked Adrian. Do you think Jills at risk?They knew to the highest degree vampires. But they were human, said Dimitri.Even I could tell that, I agreed. The one was pretty tall, but he was no Moroi. Admitting our assailants had been human was difficult and hard for me. Id always believed the Strigoi were evil. That was easy. Even Moroi couldnt always be trusted, which was why the thought of Moroi assassins approach path by and by Jill didnt seem that far-fetched. But humans the throng I was supposed to be protecting? That was tough. Id been attacked by my own kind, the so-called good guys, not the raw siennaged fiends Id been taught to fear. It was a jolt to my worldview.Dimitris face grew even grimmer. Ive never comprehend of anything like this mainly because most humans dont know about Moroi. Aside from the Alchemists. I gave him a sharp look. This had nothing to do with us. I told you, s rowing arent our style. incomplete are attacks.So nya objurgate the sword down on the coffee table. No ones making accusations about anyone.I assume its an issue youll both want to bring up to your groups. Dimitri and I nodded.Although, I think were over looking a key point here. They were treating me like a Strigoi. A swords not the easiest way to kill someone. at that placed have to be a reason.Its the only way a human could kill a Strigoi, too, I murmured. Humans cant charm a silver stake. I suppose they could set you on fire, but thats not practical in an alley. Silence fell as we all mulled this over. At subsist, Sonya sighed. I dont think were going to get anywhere tonight, not without talk of the town to others. Do you want me to heal that? It took me a moment to realize she was lecture to me. I touched my cheek. No, itll heal fast on its own. That was one of the side effects of the vampire blood in our lily tattoos. Ill go clean it before I go.I walked to the bathroom as confidently as I could. When I reached it and sa w my reflection in the mirror, I lost it. The scrape wasnt bad, not at all. close toly, what upset me was what it represented. Sonya had had the blade to her throat, but my life had been in danger too. I had been attacked, and Id been helpless. I wet a washc big moneyh and tried to bring it to my face, but my hands were shaking too badly.Sage?Adrian appeared in the doorway, and I quickly tried to blink away the tears that had started to replete my eyes. Yeah?You okay?Cant you tell from my aura?He didnt answer but instead took the washc flowerpoth from me before I dropped it. Turn, he commanded. I did, and he dabbed the scrape with it. With him standing so close to me, I could see that his eyes were bloodshot. I could also smell the alcohol on him. Nonetheless, his hand was steadier than mine. Again, he asked, You okay?Im not the one who had a sword to my throat.Thats not the interrogation I asked. Are you hurt anywhere else?No, I said, looking down. equitable maybe maybe my prid e.Your pride? He paused to rinse the washcloth. What does that have to do with anything? I looked up but still didnt meet his eyes. I can do a lot of things, Adrian. And at the risk of sounding egotistic I mean, well, I can do a lot of pretty awesome things that most people cant.There was amusement in his voice. Dont I know it. You can change a tire in ten minutes while speaking Greek.Five minutes, I said. But when my lifes on the line when others lives are on the line what good am I? I cant fight. I was completely helpless out there. retributory like when the Strigoi attacked us and Lee. I can only stand and watch and wait for people like Rose and Dimitri to save me. I Im like a storybook damsel in distress. He finished cleaning my cheek and set the washcloth down. He cupped my face in his hands. The only thing consecutive about what you just said was the storybook damsel part and thats only because youre pretty enough to be one. Not the distress thing. Everything else you just said was ridiculous. Youre not helpless.I finally looked up. In our conversations, Adrian wasnt usually the one accusing me of cosmos ridiculous. Oh? So I am like Rose and Dimitri?No. No more than I am. And, if memory serves, someone told me newly it was useless trying to be like other people. That you should only try to be yourself. I scowled at having my words thrown back at me. This isnt the same slip at all. Im talking about winning care of myself, not impressing someone.Well, theres your other problem, Sage. Taking care of yourself. These encounters youve had Strigoi, crazy guys with swords. Those arent exactly normal. I dont think you can rightfully get down on yourself for not being able to fight back against those kinds of attacks.Most people couldnt.I should be able to, I muttered. His eyes were sympathetic. Then learn. That same person who likes giving me advice once told me not to be a victim. So dont be. Youve learned how to do a million other things.Learn thi s. Take a self-defense circle. bestow a gun. You cant be a guardian, but thats not the only way to protect yourself.A cluster of emotions boiled within me. Anger. Embarrassment. Reassurance. Youve got a lot to say for a drunk guy.Oh, Sage. Ive got a lot to say, drunk or sober. He released me and stepped away. I matte oddly vulnerable without him near. What most people dont get is that Im more coherent like this. Less chance for savour to make me crazy. He tapped the side of his head and rolled his eyes.Speaking of which Im not going to give you any lectures about that, I said, glad to vex the topic from me. Lunch with your dad sucked. I get it. If you want to float that out, its fine.But please, just keep Jill in mind. You know what this does to her not now, maybe, but later. The ghost of a smile flickered across his lips. Youre always the voice of reason. Just try listening to yourself once in a while.The words were familiar. Dimitri had said something similar, that I could nt take care of others without taking care of myself first. If devil people as wildly different as Adrian and Dimitri had the same opinion, thusly maybe there was something to it. It gave me a lot to think about when I returned to Amberwood later.One of the good things about Adrians intoxication was that Jill hadnt been able to witness our talk. So the near day over lunch when I gave Jill, Eddie, and Angeline a recap of what had happened, I was able to edit the story and leave out my own breakdown. Jill and Angelines reactions were about what I expected. Jill was concerned and kept asking over and over if Sonya and I were okay. Angeline regaled us with tales of all the things she wouldve done to the attackers and how, unlike Dimitri, she would have chased them by means of the streets. Eddie was quiet and didnt say much until the other two had left, Angeline back to her room and Jill to get asky for clique.I thought something was wrong with you today, he said. particularly at breakfast, when Angeline called a tomato a vegetable and you didnt correct her. I managed a half smile at his joke. Yeah. Well, its the kind of thing that sticks with you. I mean, maybe not for you guys. Random sword attacks in dark alleys are normal for you, right?He shook his head, face serious. You cant ever take any attack in stride. People who do get careless. You have nothing to feel bad about.Id been stirring some sketchy looking mashed potatoes and finally gave up. I dont like being un uprised. For anything. Dont get me wrong Ive been there when you and Rose fought Strigoi. I was helpless then too but thats different. Theyre large than life beyond a humans scope. I dont really expect myself to be able to fight then. But what happened last night even with the sword was only one step away from a mugging. Mundane. And they were human, like me. I shouldnt have been so ineffectual.Do you want me to teach you some tricks? he asked kindly.That brought my smile back. What you do is a little larger than life too. by chance Id be better doing something a little more suited to my level. Adrian said I should get a gun or take a self-defense class.Thats good advice.I know. Scary, huh? The Alchemists do gun-training, but Im not a fan. I do pretty well at classes and theory, though.He chuckled. very(prenominal) true. Well, if you change your mind, let me know. After working with Angeline, Im lay down for anything. Although to be fair, shes sanction off a little. I thought back to my last real conversation with her. Her fight and hiatus had only been yesterday but felt like years ago. Oh. I sort of had a talk with her.What kind of talk? he asked, surprised. I told you not to worry about my personal life. Its my problem.I know, I know. But it just kind of happened. I told her that her sort was out of line and that she needed to stop. She was pretty mad at me, though, so I wasnt sure if it had gotten through.Huh. I guess it did. The next words simply were a b ig concession. possibly shes not as bad as I thought.Maybe, I agreed. And look at it this way. At least her suspension means you dont have to worry about her at the dance.From the way his face lit up, it was clear he hadnt realized that so far. A few moments later, he toughened up again. If there are attacks going on like this, Im going to have to be extra cautious with Jill especially at the dance. I hadnt thought there was any way Eddie could be more cautious, but probably hed prove me wrong. I kind of wish Angeline was going. Most of my classes were distracting enough to keep me from thinking too much about last night, but Ms. Terwilligers independent study was different. It was too quiet, too low-key. It gave me a lot of time in my own head, bringing back all the fear and self-doubt Id been trying to ignore. For once, I copied and notated the circuits without really memorizing them. Usually, I couldnt help myself. Today, my mind wasnt there.We were almost halfway through the period when I finally tuned in enough to really process what I was working on. It was a spell from lately Antiquity that allegedly made the victim think scorpions were crawl on him or her. Like so many of Ms. Terwilligers spell books, the formula was convoluted and time consuming.Ms. Terwilliger? I hated to ask anything of her, but modern events weighed too heavily on me.She looked up in surprise from her paperwork. After the cold war wed entered into, shed grown used to me never speaking unless utter to. Yes? I tapped the book. What good are these so-called offensive spells? How would you ever use them in a fight when they require concoctions that take days to prepare? If youre attacked, theres no time for anything like that. Theres hardly any time to think.Which one are you looking at? she asked.The scorpion one.She nodded. Ah, yes. Well, thats more of a premeditated one. If youve got someone you dont like, you work on this and put away it. Quite effective for ex-boyfriends, I might add. Her face grew distracted, and then she focused back on me. There are certainly ones that would be more useful in the kind of situation youre describing. Your fire charm, if you recall, had a lot of prep work but could be used quite quickly. There are others that can be cast on extremely short notice with few components but as Ive said in the past, those types require considerable skill. The more advanced you are, the less you need ingredients. You need a lot more sire before youre at a level to learn anything like that.I never said I wanted to learn anything like that, I snapped. Im just making an inquiry.Oh? My mistake. It almost sounded like you were, dare I say, interested.No I was grateful that the healing magic in my tattoo had cleared up most of the bruising on my face from last night. I didnt want her to suspect that I might have serious motivation for protection. See, this is why I never say anything in here. You read too much into it and just use it to furthe r your agenda to torment me.Torment? You read books and drink coffee in here exactly what youd be doing if you werent here. unless that Im miserable, I told her. I hate every minute of this. Im almost ready to stop coming and risk the academic fallout. This is all sick and twisted and The last bell of the day cut me off before I said something Id regret. Almost immediately, Trey appeared in the doorway. Ms. Terwilliger began packing up and looked over at him with a smile, as though everything in here was short normal.why, Mr. Juarez. How nice of you to show up now, seeing as you couldnt make it to my class this morning.Looking back, I realized she was right. Trey hadnt been in her history class or our chemistry class. Sorry, he said. I had some family stuff to take care of.Family stuff was an excuse I used all the time, though I doubted Treys had involved taking vampires on a blood sustenance run.Can you, uh, tell me what I cut downed? he asked.Ms. Terwilliger slung her udde r over her shoulder. I have an appointment. Ask Miss Melbourne shell probably explain it more thoroughly than I can. The door will lock behind you when you two leave.Trey sat down in a nearby desk and pulled it up to face mine while I produced our history and chemistry assignments, since I assumed hed need the latter as well. I nodded toward the duffle bag he had on the floor beside him.Off to practice?He leaned over to copy the assignments, his dark hair falling around the sides of his face.Wouldnt miss it, he said, not looking up as he wrote.Right. You only miss classes.Dont judge, he said. I wouldve been there if I could. I let it go. Id certainly had my fair share of weird personal complications come up before. man he wrote, I turned on my cell strait and found I had a text message from Brayden. It was one word, a leger for him Dinner?I hesitated. I was still worked up over last night, and although Brayden was fun, he wasnt the comfort I needed right now. I texted back Not sur e. Ive got some work to do tonight. I wanted to look up some self-defense options. That was the reassurance I needed. Facts. Options.Braydens quick response followed Late dinner? Stone Grill at 8? I considered it and then texted back that Id be there.I had just set down my telephone set when another text message buzzed. Unexpectedly, it was from Adrian. How r u feeling after last night? Been worried about u. Adrian was articulate in electronic mail but often resorted to abbreviations in texts something I could never bring myself to do.Even reading it was like listening to nails on a chalkboard for me, yet something touched me about his concern, that he was worried about my well-being. It was soothing.I wrote back Better. Im going to find a self-defense class. His response time was around as fast as Braydens Let me know what u find. Maybe Ill take one 2. I blinked in surprise. I certainly hadnt seen that coming. There was only one thing I could send back Why?Geez, said Trey, clos ing up his notebook computer. Miss Popularity.Family stuff, I said.He scoffed and shoved the notebook into his backpack. Thanks for these. And speaking of family stuff your cousin. Is it true she was expelled?Suspended for two weeks. unfeignedly? He stood up. Thats it? I thought itd be a lot worse.Yeah. It nearly was. I persuaded them to go easy on her. Trey laughed outright at that. I can only imagine. Well, I guess I can wait two weeks then.I frowned. For what?To ask her out.I was speechless for a few seconds. Angeline? I asked, just in case he thought I had another cousin. You want to ask out Angeline?Sure, he said. Shes cute. And taking out three guys and a speaker? Well Im not going to lie. That was pretty hot.I can think of a lot of words to describe what she did. Hot isnt one of them. He shrugged and moved toward the door. Hey, youve got your turn-ons, Ive got mine.Windmills for you, brawling for me.Unbelievable, I said. Yet, I wondered if it really was. I supposed we did all have our ownturn-ons. Treys lifestyle was certainly different from mine. He was devoted to his sport and always had bruises on him from practice, even now. They were more severe than usual. I couldnt understand his passions any more than he could understand my love of knowledge.My phone buzzed again.Better get back to your fan club, said Trey. He left, and a strange thought occurred to me. Were all of Treys recent bruises really from sports? He kept making a lot of references to his family, and I suddenly wondered if something far more insidious than Id suspected was keeping him away. It was a troubling idea, one I didnt have a lot of experience with. Another buzz from the phone pulled me out of my worries.I checked the phone and found another text from Adrian a long one that spanned two messages. It was a response to my question about him taking a self-defense class.Itll give me a reason to avoid S&D. Besides, u arent the only one who might need protection.Those guys were human a nd knew S was a vampire. Maybe vampire hunters r real. Ever think Clarence might be sex act the virtue?I stared at the phone in disbelief, processing Adrians words and the implications of last nights attack.Ever think Clarence might be telling the truth?No. Until that moment, I hadnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment